Over 80% of HR decision-makers admit their organisation has made a bad hire and the cost of a bad hire being anything up to 23 times their starting salary1. Using the full breadth and power of online reputation screening, we help companies make the right hire and open a healthy dialogue with employees about their behaviour online.
What are the do’s and don’ts of online reputation screening?
- DO apply your social media policy to new hires in the same way you would to current employees but allow for some coaching / deleting of old posts.
- DON’T run social media checks internally. How many times have you looked at someone’s social media profile before hiring them? This creates the risk of discriminatory bias.
- DO use an accredited third-party provider that adheres to the relevant screening standards such as POSS from AFODD.
- DON’T focus solely on the negatives, there should be positive flags included in the process.
- DO online reputation screening consistently and as part of a structured background screening programme (don’t pick and choose when you screen a candidate).
- DON’T lose context when reviewing employment related business risks.
- DO inform the candidate when seeking consent that “open source” checks will be included in the process.
- DON’T rely on the candidate to tell you where to look as multiple aliases online are very common.
- DO look for employment related business risks, such as violence, sexism, hate and discriminatory behaviour.
- DON’T allow any protected characteristics to be shared in your reports.
We are an accredited provider of online reputation screening and adhere to the POSS standards as laid out by AFODD. We help organisations recruit with confidence and avoid bad hires by flagging employment related business risks. Get in touch today on 0208 090 2622 to get the ball rolling.
1 Bradford D. Smart, Topgrading